Vera, a style maven ahead of her time



It was only a few weeks ago that I discovered the iconic designer Vera Neumann. I had found some textile art of hers at a thrift store and discovered that she was a creative genius when I did some Internet research on my thrift store finds. The timing couldn't have been better because this is what I found at my local Anthropologie store recently:


"Vera: The Art and Life of an Icon," is a beautiful book about Vera, an entrepreneur who built a multi-million dollar enterprise out of a business that began on her kitchen table. Bold, graphic prints became her trademark style and her pieces were usually signed with a ladybug. Fans of Vera ranged from Marilyn Monroe to Grace Kelly.

Here are a few images from the book:

Vera, who continued to create until just before her death in 1993, is shown here at left.


I found many of Vera's words inspirational.


Her designs are eye-catching and modern.


The book contains many lovely vignettes about Vera's travels around the world and how these influenced her designs through the years.


Vera designed linens, scarfs, and home accessories, among other things.


Really, there is so much more to this artist than I could ever encapsulate in a blog post but do check out the book if you are at an Anthropologie, which is selling it exclusively for $40. The book is part of a new collection at Anthropologie, which teamed up with the book author/owner of The Vera Company to create a new line of products carrying Vera's designs and art.

Anthropologie's Vera items are rather pricey, with the sofas pictured above selling for a whopping $$2,500 and $3,000, so I will likely have to settle for an $8 mug.

This brings me back to my Vera thrift store find, which I'm embarrassed to say I sold on Ebay. Unfortunately, it was a tough call to make because I wanted to keep it but didn't have an immediate place to hang it and really needed the money to pay for my new Mac. Awful, isn't it, that I sold a piece of history for such a basic item? But such are the realities of today's economy.

Here are the pieces I sold on Ebay:






What would you have done? Saved it for future decorating? Or sold it, then felt guilty as I do?

Photobucket

6 comments:

Razmataz said...

If I needed a new computer I would have sold it. Hopefully the new owner recognizes the significance and will treasure it.

Heather said...

Minnie, don't feel bad...you took some creative, lovely things, and sold them to pay for a computer with which YOU will make creative and lovely things. I'd say you make the right choice.

Creamy White said...

Hi Minnie, First, thanks for your lovely comments lately. It's so nice to see you back, and also to read your posts. Vere reminds me my Mom...she was an Artist, she painted lovely things!
Love the fabrics and beautiful things at Anthro as well.
Looking forward to meet new artists through your inspiring Blog! Just love to visit you!
Have a warm and lovely weekend,
From my heart to yours,
Li :-)

CACHANILLA73 said...

Though call.... but I think I would have sold it. I can not live with out my computer and I have been dreaming of a Mac. And of course I would feel guilty too. Human Nature, never satisfied. ;-)

Kristin said...

I just marvel at women like that. What started on her kitchen table... amazing.

Stop feeling guilty... what's done is done, right? and besides you did what you had to do.

Tina said...

Oh Minnie you gorgeous girl. I love how you feel so deeply about such things. If I had needed a computer, I too would have sold them and yes probably felt a little sad, but you have nothing to feel guilty for. You have just given us an incredible introductory lesson about a wonderful artist. Thank you my lovely friend. I am off to google more on Vera:)~ Tina xx