A new reading nook



Growing up, I loved books so much that I didn't need a special spot for reading. The couch or my bed usually worked fine for me. Now that I'm older, though, I appreciate having a special area in my bedroom set aside specifically for reading. I love wrapping myself in a nice, cozy blanket on a big armchair, with a pretty lamp next to it.

Since we place so much emphasis on reading in our household, I've always known I would create a special reading space for my kids, too. My son has had his own for nearly two years. And now that my daughter is nearly two years old, she is old enough to sit in her own little armchair (as opposed to just using it as a jumping-off point or stool!).


I've been collecting accessories for a few months now, not sure exactly how everything would all come together. I'd hoped to find a better bookcase, one that displays the books better, but didn't find what I was looking for at the price I wanted. In the end, I kept the former bookcase but I also grabbed a small wicker trunk I had in a closet and placed some books in it to make it my daughter's "end table" for favorite books of the week. Above it, I displayed a vintage Mary Poppins game board I bought at an antique store.
a
Last weekend, my husband took the kids to his parents' house for a fishing weekend, giving me two days to do some home projects, and this was one of them. When my daughter returned from the trip, I called her over to her room. She immediately gravitated toward her new armchair and sat in it, as a huge smile appeared on her face. Then, she quickly reached over for a book and opened it.


My heart soared, even more so when she graciously accommodated my son's request to sit in her new chair.


The wicker trunk has been great at prompting her to put her books back, instead of leaving them in unsightly piles like she used to before.



Certainly, I don't think a reading nook is a necessity for any child, but I think it's a great way to encourage children to adopt reading as a steady habit. I figure if we elevate reading to an activity that deserves its own spot, our kids will come to see reading as the enjoyable pasttime that it is.

I always enjoy seeing other kids' reading nooks. Lori over at the Camp Creek Press homeschooling blog has compiled a wonderful list of kids' reading nooks. Her blog is a treasure trove of information and inspiration. It's a great resource for arts activities, project-based learning and homeschooling. Lori's "reading nooks" page is one of my favorite links and I click on it from time to time, just to admire. You can check it out here.
i
I'm planning an upcoming post showcasing other kids' reading areas. If you would like to be a part of it, please e-mail any photos or blog links to mincanto(at)earthlink(dot)net, along with any thoughts you may want to include on how you created the space and how your child uses it.

1 comment:

mamaloves said...

You have done a beautiful job. I will be sure to remember this post when I create something similar for my girls. It's no surprise your daughter loves it. Just beautiful.