Thank you to other poetry lovers



I have been so heartened by the continuing interest in our poetry in a suitcase, an original idea created by children's author Janet S. Wong, who I interviewed last month.

Janet wrote to tell me that Elaine Magliaro had featured "our suitcase" on her blog, Wild Rose Reader. Elaine is a former elementary school teacher who now writes poetry for children. She writes that "it’s of great import to introduce children to this genre when they’re very young—at a time in their lives when they are most receptive to it...at a time when they take great pleasure in hearing poems and stories with rhythm and rhyme."

Thank you, Elaine, for letting others know about Janet's wonderful idea and featuring our suitcase. I'm hoping more kids are now enjoying poetry as a result.

Also, a warm thank you to the giverslog blog for also featuring our poetry suitcase as a creative gift to give to teachers. AmberLee says she would start by including some poems by the Bat, Jabberwocky, and some A.A. Milne.

The poetry suitcase is basically a box filled with children's poems attached to objects featured in the poems. I used small toys and other objects that I knew my kids would like. It's a great way to get kids interested in listening to poetry. You can read more about it here.

No comments: