Bringing whimsy to kids' lives

Los Angeles Times Book Festival/Artist Eric Carle

How divine that the work of Eric Carle is getting renewed attention worldwide. This year, the 40th anniversary of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, written and illustrated by Eric, has brought his work to the forefront of celebratory events from Taiwan to Moscow. If you're a parent, you've undoubtedly come across Eric's whimsical illustrations and books, since he has illustrated more than 70 books.

We have at least half a dozen of them. Just tonight, my 22-month-old daughter chose one of Eric's books as her dinnertime companion. (Books at the dinner table? Only at my house, I guess. And only because I've found my kids eat better if they're distracted by a book.)
Eric tells the Los Angeles Times in a story published today that "my books are half toy, half book." Certainly, my daughter is at a stage when she seems to prefer interactive books that allow her to push buttons, pull tabs, lift flaps, etc. so this new bilingual Spanish/English edition of Eric's "Colors" book fits the bill perfectly.

This weekend, my kids and I are going try to catch a glimpse of Eric at the Los Angeles Times Book Festival, which is showcasing Eric's artwork on promotional posters and other items. Who knows whether we'll be successful in seeing him since we'll be among the throng of more than 100,000 that's likely to turn out for the bookfest.

In any event, we'll check out some of our favorite authors, browse some of the book stacks and enjoy some live entertainment on the Children's Stage. I'll report back Monday on our finds.

Meanwhile, if you are interested in Eric's work, do check out Eric's personal blog for a sampling of personal photos and a peek behind the scenes of the famous illustrator at work. Or head over to the Eric Carle Museum of Picture Book Art for tons of inspiration and ideas for art activities to do with children.

No comments: