Lusting after vintage goodies on Ebay

In case you hadn't noticed, I love to shop. Everything from finding bargains at thrift shops and 99 cent stores to discount racks at upscale boutiques. You don't want to know what happened when I first discovered Ebay. I went a little crazy.

But, as we all know too well, the days of irrational exuberance are long gone, even for this shopaholic. So now I window-shop and admire. Here's the current crop of eye candy for me on Ebay (prices as of this posting, click on title below photo to access Ebay listing):

Vintage oil painting $35

I feel like you can never have too much artwork. I've been enamored of flower paintings lately, perhaps because I'm such a fan of the blog Absolutely Beautiful Things, where decorator and blogger Anna Spiro uses flower paintings to help create such lovely and inviting rooms.

Abstract painting $12.34

When I was putting together my home office, I spent hours looking for paintings featuring women. I wanted to be inspired by beautiful images of women around the world as I work. I like this image because it reminds me of my almost everyday indulgence of taking a break from the kid chaos and sitting at my kitchen table while enjoying a magazine.

1962 Portrait $51

What loveliness! I adore this painting. I've been staring at it for a while now, wondering what this beautifully dressed woman is thinking. Is it sadness, quiet hope, despondency I see in her eyes? Maybe none of these. I enjoy paintings that allow me to imagine the story behind them.

Vintage Uzbek Hand-Embroidered Suzani $44

I don't care if the Suzani craze is over because I'm still craving a Suzani to hang above my bed. I like this Suzani for its wildly colorful design, which suits me perfectly. Of course, my husband might have different ideas about what should hang over our bed.

1960s Mexican straw tote $17.50

You may have noticed a pattern in my Ebay finds. They're all vintage. I just can't seem to get away from things that seem imbued with so much character. And I'm such a fan of vintage items to help organize one's home. This straw tote would be divine to hold towels in the bathroom or my current crop of reading books in the living room.

Antique card file box $10.50

Yum! This box is such a delicious dark chocolate brown. Among my many obsessions are cabinets with many drawers. The more drawers the better. Someday I will show you my collection of these type of cabinets but I've yet to add a card file box like this one, which I think would be great for holding so many things in the kitchen, office or bedroom.


Vintage red, black and silver wallpaper $15.92

I've been gathering my courage to put up a wall of wallpaper somewhere in my home. Since red figures prominently in several rooms, this one seems like a nice, bold choice for a great accent wall. Or, I could also use a smaller dose of it and create my own "wall sticker." I'm thinking a wall sticker of a tree or a giraffe, but I'm artistically challenged on the drawing front. Ideas?

Vintage Contac paper (yellow bamboo) $7.99

This is another more subtle (and less expensive) choice for a wall-sticker but the width is smaller. Also, the spot I'm thinking of adding this wall sticker is rather bland at the moment and in dire need of color so I'm not sure a subtle yellow would do much for that area.

So there you have it, my list of current Ebay obsessions. I'm finding it difficult to hold off on buying things when there seem to be so many good deals out there, but I'm also proud of myself for being disciplined on the fiscal front. What about you, are you shopping more or less on Ebay these days?

Photobucket

2 comments:

alison giese Interiors said...

Can't get over that suzani for forty-four bucks!!

Sharyn said...

oooh. This was my first introduction to Suzani. They are beautiful! Now I totally want one...